Retail marketing is an industry that continues to grow and evolve over the years. Past practices and trends in retail marketing are being faced out putting a lot of pressure on retail business owners to either stay abreast of the emerging trends or close shop. 2017 has seen a shift in the way to conduct retail marketing worldwide. Not only have these trends been successfully used by retail marketing agencies on some business, but also offset the balance even for big retail brands such as Macy’s.
While consumers continue to expect seamless shopping form retailers, the latter are working with retail marketing agencies to continually improve their service delivery and appeal to consumers. These are some of the retail marketing trends witnessed in 2017:
- Mobile shopping – Consumers are first shopping on their mobile devices before visiting physical stores. The product presentation and prize drive consumers to specific stores already knowing what they are looking for and the cost. For any retail owner without an online presence, they are losing out on customers. Retail marketing agencies have dwelt on this as a way to reach more consumers. Most adults spent a lot of time on their mobile devices and making mobile advertisements a must for retail business.
- Agile shopping – The advancement in technology and availability of reliable internet has made it possible for consumers to do their shopping virtually, pay and have their goods delivered to their addresses. Woo commerce has been on a steady rise prompting more and more retailers to consider setting up online stores as compliment or subsidiary to their physical stores.
- Web presence – Retailers with a solid web presence are reaping in sales revenues driven from online platforms. Just as the consumers are first shopping on their mobile devices before doing physical store visits. They rely on web presence for their shopping. From the web, they can look at business locations, goods, prices and even reviews left by other consumers. This information is crucial to the consumer before aiming a purchase. Hence marketing agencies are advocating for vibrant web pages to the retailers seeking more traffic in their shops.
- Use of technology in retail business – Barcode scan apps have made it possible for consumers to compare prices or shop for items equivalent to the amount they are willing to spend. Handheld scanners at a retail store are an example of how technology Is improving the shopping experience for consumers. Applications and software used in retail stores make the entire process seamless for both the retailer and the consumers.
As such retail marketing agencies in conjunction with other service providers are coming up with ideas on how to develop and utilize available applications in retail business. An example is Alexa Amazon shopping app. By turning on the microphone on your device, you can direct it to shop, track shipping, re order or add to cart. Retail marketing agencies are aligning retailers with the right technology requirements for their business. This is primarily dependant on retail outlet type and the products being sold.
- Omni channel retailing – Consumers are different in style and preference. While there are those who enjoy online shopping, others like doing physical shopping. To others, it is a mixture of both depending on a number of factors. Retailers looking to increase their sale volumes should aim at being available in so many options for every client. Marketing agencies are insisting on running physical stores as well as ecommerce sites to reap form both sets of consumers.
- Passive influence on shopping– Alexa is a voice based application acting as an assistant to instructions given. You want it to play music on your phone, it will you want to find a product it will do so. For example is if am looking for bath robes, Alexa will make suggestions to a brand and where I can buy the towels from. From the retail store suggestions made, the app is passively influencing where consumers buy from.
The main goal for a retail marketing agency is to provide tailor made marketing solutions to retailers. These solutions have to be innovative and converting on the business they are employed on. There have been emerging trends in retail marketing over the years in accordance with consumer mindset and shift in preference. The current consumer is more appealed by convenient, efficient and seamless shopping experiences from their own comfort. Any retail marketing agency that capitalizes on these in its campaign not only succeeds but also draws more sales to the retailers.